Friday, January 12, 2007

Week 2

Week 2 turned out to be quite hectic. Seriously I shouldn't be whining about it considering how I need to work hard to earn my keep. The highlight was definitely the trip to Seattle (see report below). I have several projects that will keep me busy for the 1st quarter. They are the black dye project, dry end pulper shower modification project, starch survey and starch dosage change. After going to TImes, now I really want to see Register Guard's pressroom in Eugene, esp. after I make chemical changes that will impact sheet properties and press runnability. Defect group is chunking along, we just came up with some recommendations on how to operate my fave: DAF clarifier. I used to be in charge of three of those in W-Alb, but over in W-N, we have different strategies to handle fines, stickies and white water.

Industry news: Hong Kong based Lee & Man's North American division, Evergreen has made an announcement that they are considering a purchase of Cosi pulp mill, Big W shut down the plant last September, and I know quite a few people who worked there. It is somewhat interesting that Evergreen had purchased a pulp mill in Samoa, CA back in 2005. The Chinese are definitely penetrating into the paper markets on our soil. Business is not as usual any more. The link is here.

The weather in NW continued to be very cold. Perfect for hot pot party! Chicago is warmer than Portland, what happened to the windy city?
Count down to Jan 22nd. I hope Tom will do well on his exam. GO Go go....

No comments: