Thursday, January 11, 2007

ST/SPI Report

Seattle Times and Seattle PI
My first trip to a pressroom in Bothell was very educational! The journey was fun with the beautiful snow scenery on I-5. Once we got to the Seattle area, it was hailing at 3-ish.
Let's talk about the good stuff. Weather: it was beautiful as Seattle suburbs turned into snowland.
The soccer field across from the press building at 5-ish.
The parking lot of a grocery store at 6-ish.
Front Entrance after the night run. That was like 12:30 AM
The next morning
Traffic: Washingtonians learned from the pain & suffering in the last snow storm (It took 11 hours to go from downtown Seattle to Federal Way), folks were panicing and traffic was a-okay. With all the meetings that we had, we were able to avoid the circus on the freeway and stayed close by for meals and lodging. The hotel was in Lynnwood. We were in rush hour traffic on the way back but we managed to be on I-405 and made it home in reasonable times.

Real work: Many meetings but the press room visit was fantastic. The robots are my fave parts, whom all have cool names. My top three are Godzilla, Elvis and Sunshine. The presses are big and relatively clean. The picture was taken at the ground level where the rolls were being threaded upwards.
Godzilla, my fave.
The fleet of 12 is working hard.
Difficult work: The 3 meetings went ok and somewhat awkard and embarrassing for me as a new comer when my team was under attacked. I wasn't approached as the RED target practice despite the fact that I did not wear purple or gold. I did have to tell them my W_Albany "rise to fame" Ichiro-summer softball leauge legacy and that I like the Seattle Mariners. Overall, the visit was a success as we managed to have the other parties agree to run some questionably "mis-labeled" rolls and they turned out fine.

On the way home, I saw the tip of Mt. Rainier from the road. Not a great shot, but I tried. This is for my mountain man.

No comments: