Thursday, August 24, 2006

Leadership Essentials 101 August 22-24

Don't get me wrong, the instructor rocked, with true enthusiasm. I had a hard time understanding her perspective, but it was enlightening. To my surprise, I was already implementing a lot of the skills the class was teaching, but I did learn some ways to be more effective as a leader and coach, which will help me a great deal in managing folks. I think what I learned will be helpful for me at any job I may have in the future, and to enhance my ability to interact and manage effectively. I was disappointed to be ignored, but I did get to see my good buddy from Springfield, and we had some very frank exchange about my future. I am very happy that he was completely supportive of my choice. In addition, I also could see that I need to practice my public speaking skills, as this is one area where I lack the confidence that I will need to be a truly effective leader.

After my shift work next week, I will have a long weekend. I should have a double day off, but that won't happen. I will be seeing friends in P-town, driving to L-town to check things out, and hopefully, sleeping a lot. The following picture shows my feeling about having to deal with unpleasant people.


1 comment:

Todd said...

I used this exact picture on one of my compilation CD's, called "Depression/Mania".

I'm sure you can imagine which one this picture represented. The other picture was an obnoxiously happy smiley-face, wearing sunglasses.

Weird coincidence!