Friday, January 16, 2009

Slow Motion Paper Making

My latest spy report indicates that my corrugated colleagues are suffering from the slowing economy. Machines are running at 1/3 their typical speed at one mill, while the other has shut down half their capacity and begun running experimental grades on the other to try to find a niche that won't shrink to nothing.

I keep hearing reminders of my prescient decision to move to fine paper, and it seems that I saved myself from joining the job hunters in line at the unemployment department. Some of my buddies may end up in that line instead. My mentor is now running like a headless chicken, spun in circles by a micromanager who is trying to trim costs as a backseat driver.

Latest news is that the twin Norms are hitting the road to enjoy their retirement - will they miss the machine?

Levi is the latest victim to fall to R's bossiness. He seems to be a good intern, so I hope we don't scare him away before his time is up here.

No comments: